PHOENIX YOUTH SYMPHONY’S 58th ANNUAL CONCERTO COMPETITION
2017 YMC Scholarship Auditions Final Results
2017 Junior and Senior Division Winners
Rules and Regulations
DATE: Saturday, January 6, 2018
PLACE: Mesa Community College
The Competition is open to all nonprofessional music students who reside in and attend school in the state of Arizona and who are in grades 6 – 12 on the dates of competition. The music student must also be recommended by his/her private teacher, which is confirmed by his/her signature on the application/Verifying Signature Form
. For questions contact Sandy Rutledge
Application and Fee Deadline
The $75 non-refundable fee for Senior Division and $50 non-refundable fee for Junior Division and application must be postmarked by Wednesday, November 1, 2017
. Applications postmarked after November 1st will require a $25.00 late fee. Applications postmarked after November 8, 2017 will NOT be accepted. Your application WILL NOT be processed unless the application is complete. Incomplete or illegible applications will be returned for completion and resubmitted applications must follow above deadlines. Your scheduled performance time will be mailed by December 31, 2017.
1. Each contestant shall be required to perform FROM MEMORY
one movement of a standard concerto, or a composition for solo instrument and orchestra.
2. Contestants in the Junior Division
may select from the Repertoire List
. There is an * beside repertoire recommended for Junior Contestants. Contestants may select a concerto or solo with available orchestral accompaniment not on the list, but only on recommendation of his/her private teacher and only with prior approval by the Competition Director (see #4).
3. The contestants in the Senior Division
may select from those concertos or solos with available orchestral accompaniment without an * in the Repertoire List
. Contestants may select a concerto or a solo with available orchestral accompaniment not on the list, ONLY
on recommendation of his/her private teacher and ONLY WITH PRIOR APPROVAL
of the Competition Director (see #4). Senior Contestants who are winners of their division on Saturday have an option to compete in the Scholarship Auditions on Sunday but must designate their desire to do so at the time of application.
4. To request a concerto not on the Repertoire List
: To ensure availability it is very important that the Competition Director, Sandra Rutledge
, be notified immediately for concerto approval. CLICK HERE
for a Repertoire Request Form. Deadline to place a request is by midnight October 18, 2017
5. No student shall perform a composition which he/she performed in any previous Phoenix Youth Symphony Young Musicians Competition.
6. Each contestant must provide his/her own accompanist. An accompanist is required for the competition, except for percussionist pieces that do not have an accompanist part. If your accompanist can only play at certain times, you will need to advise us of the time restrictions at the time of application submission. We may or may not be able to accommodate your accompanist’s request. You must notify us if there is a change of accompanist. Note: Each accompanists will be limited to 24 performances
, so only the first 24 complete and legible applications received listing that accompanist will be accepted. Additional applications for that accompanist will be returned and will need to be resubmitted before the deadline with a different accompanist listed. Submit your applications in early to ensure that you get the accompanist you want. NOTE: Accompanists who have two or more performances, may not be able to practice with contestants during their practice time.
7. Maximum playing time will be ten minutes and must include the cadenza
. Cuts may be necessary and this should be done at the discretion of the contestant’s teacher. Contestants will be stopped at 10 minutes and 30 seconds, without exception.
Contestants who play longer than 10 minutes and 30 seconds may be disqualified. Adjust your time to 10 minutes if you go onto the Scholarship Auditions.
8. No changes can be made to repertoire after November 8. 2017. Any change(s) must be reported to Sandra Rutledge
prior to midnight November 8, 2017.
9. Piano contestants will be allowed to play one scale only on the competition piano prior to playing the composition selection. Percussion contestants will be allowed to check their equipment prior to playing their piece.
10. Contestants will be allowed 10 minutes in a practice room immediately before the contestant’s scheduled performance time, with the exception that brass and woodwind contestants will be allowed 25 minutes.
10. The contestant must provide three copies of the solo to be performed for the judges’ use
. The copies must not contain any marks identifying the contestant or teacher. The copies must have all
measures numbered and any cuts clearly marked. All copies left will be destroyed after the competition.
Certificates of Merit will be presented to all junior and senior contestants. All Junior and Senior Division winners will be announced and all awards presented at the end of each category/division (in the lobby at approximately one hour after the last competitor finishes). THE DECISION OF THE JUDGES WILL BE FINAL! Note: The judges reserve the right not to select a winner in any category per their discretion.
Junior Division – Grades 6 through 8
The first place winner in each category (upper strings, lower strings, woodwinds, brass/percussion, and piano/harp) will receive a $500 cash prize.
Senior Division – Grades 9 through 12
The winners of each category (upper strings, lower strings, woodwinds, brass/percussion, and piano/harp) will be presented an award and will be eligible to enter the Scholarship Auditions
on Sunday IF
they have completed both applications at the time of submission. For additional information, please see “Scholarship Audition Rules and Regulations”. The Phoenix Youth Symphony requires
first place winners to perform at the Competition Winners Luncheon on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 – check your availability!
Download a printable copy of the Concerto Competition Rules and Regulations:
YMC 2018 Concerto Rules & Regulations
for the mandatory Verifying Signatures form. This form must be signed by student, parent and teacher and mailed to the competition director by November 1, 2017 or the application is not complete.